Tips for good maize stalk conservation
- The leaf is the most nutritious component of maize stalk hence it is important to prevent loss of leaves in the process of conservation.
- Maize stalk can be conserved in the field in pyramidal heaps that reduce chances of penetration by rain water and direct sun heat.
- There are high chances of pest, especially insects attack on stored maize stalks. Thus there should be regular inspection of the stored stalks and corrective measurements undertaken in case of such damages.
- The bulkiness of maize stalks limits intake. Processing the stalks by grinding enhances the intake and prevents losses due to pests.
- Chopped/grinded stalks should be stored safely with regular inspection to monitor any spoilage e.g. mould growth or rotting.